Jobsandcareer.com organizes the most comprehensive job and career advice/news.
It’s Tuesday, I get a call from an unknown number. There is a little hesitation, but I finally pick it up. My number is listed on my business card and I feel like I should get these calls unless I am in a meeting.
- Hi, is this Mike?
- Yes, speaking….
- Hi Mike! How are you today?
- I am calling from XYZ Co, and we deal with recruiting and staff augmentation. I was wondering if you are looking for software developers.
We are in San Francisco and it’s late 2011. Every tech company is looking for developers. If they were not looking… just wait till one of their devs gets recruited away. Now guess what? You are looking!
Yes, I am on the market for some developers and this guy bought himself a few minutes…
- Have you looked at the website?
- Honestly I have not had a chance to yet, but I have a couple of Ruby candidates that are really good.
Hmm…. so you don’t know what we are looking for. You didn’t care to open up our website and look at the career page, and I have a feeling that it doesn’t even matter what we want. You have a couple of people you are trying to pitch to every company you can.
- I can’t really source candidates from agencies that are not on the vendor list. You have to go to HR first.
- Okay… in that case why don’t we have coffee or lunch next week?
I am thinking – does this guy not want to hear me? I am detecting a pattern: not only he doesn’t want to listen, he actually doesn’t care to consume any information at all.
I know that type! He probably refers to himself as a “people person”. On Friday in the Marina when drinking with his...