Jobsandcareer.com organizes the most comprehensive job and career advice/news.
This is a "solicitation" letter from the Microsoft Corp. It's written
by a software engineer, rather than the personnel dept:
I consider Microsoft an excellent home for the software wizard because:
1) its a great place to work. The company is owned (a key issue)
and operated by software wizards: Bill Gates and Paul Allen.
This means :
- private offices (as many with windows as topology permits)
- informal lounges for design/discussion/rap sessions
- whatever hardware facilities are needed for the job
- Microwave ovens, refrigerators, free soda, etc.
throughout the buildings
But, most importantly, you're working for and with other
systems programmers that understand both the job and the
people. The technical hierarchy is kept very simple and
"shallow" so that there is minimal bullshit and over-
Since the development people report strictly to software
engineers, who report directly to chairman/CEO Gates, we
never do anything stupid because some manager/MBA/suit-type
has power without knowledge. (When we do something stupid,
its our own fault!) Likewise, there are no "politics", just
2) The work that you do here at Microsoft MATTERS. Your work
won't be canceled due to some political/financial upheaval,
nor just used in-house;...